Helping patients navigate health and wellness
At OurHealth, our mission was to “radically transform the consumer healthcare experience”. Through research we learned that health care often left people with more questions than answers. Our team tested the concept of a Wellness Concierge in our medical clinics to better engage our patients and give them individualized support in their health care journeys.
I interviewed patients about the frustrations, questions, and goals they had in their health care journeys.
Through widely distributed surveys and follow-up interviews, I worked with our Product Analyst to generate a set of personas to represent common patient health situations, needs, behaviors, and lifestyle factors.
I led an ideation workshop with a multidisciplinary group of colleagues to explore what the future of the Wellness Concierge role could be (and define what it would not be).
We used a "How might we..." brainstorming activity to imagine how the Wellness Concierge may be able to alleviate some of the problems and frustrations discovered in research.
After research and ideation, I synthesized insights to make recommendations on a new Wellness Concierge service. The role included tasks such as:
- Checking patients in as they arrive for appointments.
- Getting to know patients while they sit in the waiting room and recording their health and wellness goals and interests (to use later for automated messaging and follow-up communications from the Concierge).
- Telling patients about the non-clinical products, services, and events that were available to them for free or at a discount.
- Hosting information sessions and lunch and learns on various health related topics (e.g., healthy cooking demos, fitness help, etc.).
- Helping patients get started with the process of being referred to a specialist.
Feedback from patients who engaged with our Wellness Concierge was overwhelmingly positive due to the personalized and helpful nature of the service. Many patients reported positive health outcomes such as weight loss, better stress management, and pain relief, due to lifestyle changes motivated by our Wellness Concierge.